Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot.....Everybody!!

Whew, I cracked myself up with that title...

Yesterday was a two shot day, one flu vaccine, and a dose of my thrice weekly Rebif "therapy". I am a little annoyed with my Rebif at the moment; it seems to be the culprit to a whole slew of my problems. Last week,  as I mentioned before, it gave me its signature flu symptoms. It may also be screwing with my emotions, which is always a joy ride. My primary care doc seems to think that my cognitive issues are also linked to my medication, which I actually took as good news, because that means that the MS is not going after my brain. I was really worried about that.

I'm guessing that I am experiencing what some in the MS community call "needle fatigue" (as if I need ANOTHER kind of fatigue in my life). Needle fatigue is when you just get sick and tired of giving your injection and begin to resent the treatment. Last Thursday, when I was so unbelievably exhausted, I skipped my injection because I was so frustrated. I'm about 99% sure that was not the best way to deal with my frustration. But after talking to my doctors and doing a little soul searching, I realized that the benefits of the medicine probably outweigh the side effects/annoyances, so I am back on my schedule.

As much as having to give myself and injection three times a week sucks, I also realized that the ability to do so kind of makes me a rock star super-heroine. One time I was indulging in my Saturday guilty pleasure of watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians, and on an episode, Kim decided to freeze her eggs. In order for the egg harvest to be successful, she had to give herself a hormone injection in the stomach. This girl squealed and screamed and jumped around, and finally had to have her mom give her the shot because she couldn't do it. Talk about a self-esteem boost! I've gotten so comfortable with needles, that I actually asked the nurse to show me the size of the flu shot needle, so I could compare it to the ones I use. Rock star. It may almost be time for my next tattoo. ;)

Moral of the story: If you read this and can relate to needle fatigue, just remember that you are better at something than Kim Kardashian. Stay the course, friend. Your shots are helping more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment